In 2013 and again in 2015 my parents had medical crises that led to a lot of quick research and frantic visits to assisted living facilities in the South Miami-Dade area.
Mom — who already had diagnoses including diabetes, congestive heart failure and stage-4 kidney disease — suddenly lost all strength in her legs after a minor fall in April 2013.
I started looking for assisted living and skilled-nursing arrangements for her. Ultimately – in consult with a social worker at Baptist Hospital (Kendall Main), we chose to send her home with twice-daily visits by a nursing assistant.
May 21, Mom assigned to Coral Reef Nursing & Rehab (first visit) lasted 2 nights.
Returned to Baptist on 5/23.
Assisted Living / Skilled Nursing Facilities:
Skilled Nursing / Rehabilitation
- Signature Healthcare of Brookwood Gardens in Homestead (http://shcofbrookwoodgardens.com. Dad entered on 4/28/2015
- Coral Reef Nursing
- no wi-fi in much of the building (rehab wing)
- horrible food
- nurses ignored Dad’s distressed need for mental help
- nurses did catch his scabies infection which Baptist missed.
- Hialeah Rehab Hospital
- Green Briar
- Miami Jewish Health System Rehab Wing
- excellent Kosher food.
- 7 days a week rehab work
- Very astute and observant staff.
- Nice bright rooms recently renovated. Lovely grounds.
- Two or three dining options instead of one.
- Coral Reef Hospital
- Baptist Hospital
- Palmetto General Hospital
- Hialeah Hospital
- Social worker will review your case and be sure your home situation is acceptable and safe. If not, they can enforce you going to rehab.
Notes on Medicare
- 100 days of service before you get booted from rehab, must re-enter as an acute ER case